In 2015, there were documented 875,000+ cleaning businesses with over 3.5 million employees in the United States, and since then, the number has only grown. In 2019, there will be an estimated growth in revenue from 2014, with janitorial services bringing in a total revenue of $61 billion, or a growth of 1.9%.
But what does this mean for you, as a facilities manager? All it means is that while the commercial cleaning industry is growing, your options are increasing too. With services like green cleaning on the rise, and with economic stability allowing for more businesses to flourish, you have more choice in who cleans your facility, and how safely they do it.
Let’s take a look at some of the current factors affecting the commercial cleaning industry, and how they might affect your business.
Green Cleaning: Services Offered & Products Used
Cleaning with green, or environmentally safe products is on the rise. As concern about the state of our environment, and consciousness about how different products affect our health both continue to grow, so too is the green cleaning industry.
The request from both employees working within the commercial cleaning industry, and the facilities managers for safer industrial cleaning products is at an all-time high, and only increasing. Why is this on the rise? Perhaps it is because there is an increasing concern about the environment and health from Millennials, who are permeating the workforce in 2019 and beyond.
People spend 90% of their time inside, where they are exposed to the majority of pollutants that affect our health – and indoor air is 2 to 5 times more polluted than the air we breathe outside. And oftentimes the dangerous chemicals used in cleaning products and the “fresh scents” added to mask chemical smells are incredibly dangerous not only to the environment, but to our health as well, causing cancer, breathing and lung issues, and more.
What does this mean for you as a facilities manager? Your employees and your commercial cleaning company most likely all want to employ green cleaning products to get your workplace to sparkle and shine. It’s why there are entire initiatives set up to make the cleaning supplies used in schools and offices health-friendly.
General Business Trends in the Commercial Cleaning Industry (and What It Means for You)
Much of the cleaning industry is heavily reliant upon the overall success of the economy, but this doesn’t mean that facilities require less cleaning. For example, during the years of the Great Recession, a great deal of the cleaning industry took a hit like much of the world, with revenue falling 5.3% in 2008 and again in 2009, falling by 6.1%.
But the interesting thing about this drop in revenue? This economic downturn had a larger effect on residential cleaning services more so than the commercial cleaning industry, since residential cleaning is seen as more of a luxury expense.
This is because there is a bit more of a necessity for businesses to employ the commercial cleaning industry. No matter what, shops, hospitals, businesses, restaurants, and offices still need to be cleaned – for both their employees and the people they serve. So while economic hard times did affect the commercial cleaning industry somewhat, the necessity of having a clean workplace meant the commercial cleaning industry was less affected than the residential cleaning industry.
However, in the past few years, as the economy has grown and bounced back, so too has the cleaning industry. As unemployment rates and office vacancies decline, and nonresidential construction increases again, profits in the commercial cleaning industry have grown.
Why? The economy is more stable. And as a result, you should feel more secure hiring a commercial cleaning company than ever before. The Bureau of Labor Statistics is predicting job growth of around 6% in the cleaning industry between 2014 and 2020, and this has a lot to do with the economy being much more secure than during the Recession of the previous decade.
What does this mean for you? It’s a great, stable time to hire a commercial company to come in and manage the cleaning of your facility. Commercial cleaning companies are stable: They aren’t going anywhere. It’s the perfect time to see how a company like Cleaning Services Group can take your facility, and your business, to the next level.
Commercial Cleaning Industry Statistics: The Need for a Commercial Cleaning Company
What else should you consider in regards to using a commercial cleaning company for your facility in 2019 and beyond? Let’s take a look:
- A clean facility actually reduces the number of sick days that your employees take. Why? The U.S. Center for Disease Control recommends regular cleaning and disinfecting to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. Sick workers cost American employers $530 billion and 1.4 billion workdays each year in absenteeism and presenteeism: when employees come to work but are too sick to accomplish anything.
- A clean facility is also a more profitable, productive facility. In a study of 400 managers and employees, researchers discovered a direct correlation between a clean workplace and employee productivity. Just how beneficial is a clean workplace? In an office of 100 workers, researchers found a 5%, or approximately $125,000 productivity gain in a clean workspace.
- Restrooms in commercial spaces are notoriously hard to keep clean, but a clean restroom can make a huge difference in your bottom line. How? 86% of restaurant-goers equate a clean restroom with a clean kitchen. But a clean restroom isn’t just important in restaurants: When customers encounter a dirty bathroom, 75% of them are less likely to return to that place of business.
- The top 5 cleanliness factors that can keep someone from returning to a place of business?
- General bad odor (78% would not return)
- Dirty restrooms (66% would not return)
- Dusty or dirty surfaces (65% would not return)
- Entryway cleanliness (60% would not return)
- Dressing room conditions (56% would not return)
The main point? Cleanliness matters. And it matters a lot.
At Cleaning Services Group, Inc., we know that cleanliness matters – and we know how it matters as we move forward into 2020. That’s why our team has been working tirelessly for years to provide facilities just like yours with the clean space they need to excel in the workplace. It’s also why we work with companies in so many different kinds of industries: because we are passionate about the fact that with properly clean spaces, all sorts of industries can succeed.
Each of these industries and each of these unique spaces have their own needs and requirements to maintain a beautiful environment, and we work with each facility to find, and surpass these needs: And that’s the Cleaning Services Group difference. Affordable, consistent, exceptional cleaning, every single time.
How can we take the information we have learned in 2019, and give you a beautifully clean workspace in 2020 and beyond? Request a quote today and let us show you how!